Written by A Wild Dove | Photographed by Caitlin Mitchell
Do you wish your skincare would do more for you? Beyond looking great or feeling hydrated, of course, but maybe add a higher vibration to your day? Enter Prestidge Beauté, the incredible skincare brand founded by Shawnelle Prestidge, longtime makeup artist for Jane Fonda and a wealth of global brands and beauty giants. Her path to Prestidge Beauté wasn’t an easy one. Following the birth of her daughter, her husband suffered a near fatal accident where suddenly, Shawnelle found herself in her kitchen stirring up calming cannabis elixirs to help with his nerve pain. She then decided it was finally time to try her hand at creating that "miracle" serum a curated line of extremely effective, highly active, deeply healing-small batch organic skin care products. The result is high quality, all natural products made with ingredients from conscious growers all over the world, complete with a healing form of reiki. To say we are obsessed is an understatement, so we sat down with Shawnelle to talk reiki, serums and the calming spirit of a great skincare product.
1. Can you tell us how Prestidge Beauté came to be? Was there one “trigger moment?”
Prestidge Beauté was a dream of mine for many years, but it was suddenly realized after working on a cannabis salve to help quell my husband’s nerve pain following a swimming accident. It was the catalyst from which Prestidge Beauté was born.
2. We love that you combine Reiki techniques into the crafting of the products. Can you tell us about the process?
I summon my angels and spirit guides, archangels and the reiki masters while listening to kundalini music to raise the vibration of the space. I enter a sort of active meditation as the wisdom of alchemy comes together, then seal each product by drawing the reiki symbols into the products while I combine all the ingredients.
3. You totally get that energy when using the products. And the line is so well edited, everything has a purpose. Can you tell us more and how the components work individually and together?
I wanted each one to satisfy all my personal and professional needs. I’ve been working 25-plus years as a makeup artist. I wanted the serum to be a high vibrating multitasking supernova of a serum that everyone could use and benefit from. That, in concert with the Healing Salve, addresses a myriad of ailments from acne to cuts to bug bite to eczema. Plus a tonic that could be used before the serum to add moisture or after makeup application to set you, or after a workout to refresh, or to use on your kids when they need a little time to work through big feelings. But especially to invite a moment of calm to reset one’s mood. A deodorant that smells amazing, yet is mild and works hard at diminishing odor, for men and women and kids. And a lip balm that truly heals damaged weatherworn lips and moisturizes without feeling too glossy.
4. In creating your products, you use organic ingredients and produce small batches. Can you explain the significance of only sourcing from conscious growers? How do you find them?
I find them through referrals, friends and research. I look for a valid GC/MS report, which is the fingerprint of any particular batch of essential oil. The report is like a blood test for a human. It shows the unique identity and properties of an oil, and I let my intuition guide me. I look for particular colors and aroma and order in small sizes when first ordering with a new supplier.
5. Is the line safe for kids to use?
YES! For ages two and older. My daughter, who’s eight, uses everything except the Under Amour Deodorant, but I think that is just around the corner!
6. You’ve had quite the make up artist career. Can you share that journey and one or two milestones?
I think the first awe inspiring experience was being invited to the Shriver compound and being greeted to homemade cookie fresh from the oven by Eunice Shriver. It was a shoot with Norman Jean Roy for Vanity Fair with Sarge, Eunice and Maria Shriver. Maria told us not to be overwhelmed when Sarge asks you, “What did you do today to make the world a better place?” It was truly humbling and made a lasting impression on me to strive to do better-for all! And I don’t think Jane Fonda’s long presence in my life has been by accident either. I think being around great people influence you to be your best self, and to me, being your best self means aligning with your purpose to service others earnestly.
7. We’re not even going to ask you how you balance being a mama, an entrepreneur, wife and all the other amazing things you do, but can you tell us a bit about your day to day and how you make it work for you and your family?
I honestly don’t know. Most day it’s kind of a crap shoot. To tell you otherwise would be completely dishonest, but I wake up with the intention of doing my best, to get what needs doing done, and hopefully to squeeze some fun and giggles into the mix too!
8. We totally related to a comment you made recently about being “a uniform kind of girl” fashion-wise. You said that you like simple silhouettes, like a black utilitarian jumpsuit in high quality fabrics. Same here! Is that because you prefer to express your creativity via makeup and beauty care?
I definitely believe so! When I was young, it was not the case but as I developed further into my career, I just wanted to be physically and emotionally comfortable doing what I loved. There is something so self-loving about making sure you are experiencing comfort-when you know there are so many uncertainties out there. I really find it luxurious to be under the radar, but you only seem to realize that with age.
9. What is your therapy?
Oh so many things. Mantras, snuggles, kisses, actual therapy, moving my body, sharing, connecting, making my Prestidge Beauté line, sleeping, eating, laughing and loving.
10. Lastly, what makes you fly?
Being aligned and getting those vibrating signs that you are exactly where you are supposed to be!